A Midsummer Night's Dream
by William Shakespeare
Performed in the Original Pronunciation
- Directed by Paul Meier
- Scenic and Lighting Design by Del Unruh
- Costume Design by Dennis Christilles
- Make Up Design by Phillip Schroeder & Tammy Keiser
- Sound Design by Erin Tomkins
- Dialect Coaching by David Crystal & Paul Meier
The course of true love never did run smooth", speaks Lysander in the first act of Shakespeare's beloved fantasy, articulating its central theme clearly. Relationships abound in and around the moonlit forest, and all of them are out of balance. This classic tale of young lovers, fairies, and a group of hapless theatre folk known as the "rude mechanicals" will be given a novel twist with the assistance of David Crystal, one of the world's leading linguists. The performance will be given in Original Pronunciation (OP), allowing audiences to hear Shakespeare's language as it was actually spoken in his day. This will be the first full-length OP production of a Shakespearean work in North America. Directed by KU theatre professor Paul Meier, an expert in dialects and accents, this production provides an exciting laboratory for linguistic and artistic research.
|Hermia||Hannah JoBeth Roark|
|Philostrate||Troy Clifford Dargin|
|Peter Quince||Garrett Lawson|
|Nick Bottom||Scott Cox|
|Francis Flute||Ryan Lueders|
|Tom Snout||Charlie Stock|
|Robin Starveling||Sam Voelker|
Click to access Paul Meier's Original Pronunciation tutorial: http://www.paulmeier.com/OP.pdf
Click to view a short video about OP from Paul Meier: http://paulmeier.com/Dream_promo062310.wmv
- Thursday, November 11, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Friday, November 12, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Saturday, November 13, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Sunday, November 14, 2:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Wednesday, November 17, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Thursday, November 18 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Friday, November 19, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Saturday, November 20, 7:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Sunday, November 21, 2:30 p.m. | Stage Too!
- Public: $18
- Senior Citizens & KU Faculty/Staff: $17
- All Students: $10
Costume Design by Dennis Christilles
Rehearsal Photos by Rana Esfandiary
Dress Rehearsal Photos by Phillip Schroeder